Sometimes a pristine undoctored image is not enough. It needs another image added to it, whether for the sake of artistry, informativeness, or simply humor. This is where the skill of overlaying pictures comes in handy.
Despite sounding somewhat tricky, this process is actually quite doable. We’ll prove it. In this article, we’ll show you how to overlay pictures in three ways. You’ll learn how to do it with easier photo editors as well as pro software so that you could choose a method based on your skills. We’ll be primarily focusing on PC methods. In case you are going to use another platform – like a mobile phone – make sure to explore how to overlay photos in other ways. But in the meantime, let’s get down to it.
1. Overlaying Images with Photoshop
First, we’ll get the most difficult program out of the way. Photoshop is arguably the most popular and most advanced image manipulation program out there. So it is definitely up to the task when it comes to pictures overlay. Let’s see how you can make it happen.
- Open the two images within the software. It would be better if you adjust the view mode so that you would have two pictures side by side.
- Left-click your top layer, hold the button, and drag the picture onto the base layer.
- Move the top layer around to find the perfect spot.
When resizing, make sure to hold the Shift button so that the layer proportions stay intact. You can also change the blend mode in the corresponding submenu. And you’re done.
While this process doesn’t seem like a lot of work, you still need at least some basic training in Photoshop to be able to find all the controls and tools. And don’t forget about the overpriced subscription to the software, which also could be a deal breaker.
Now it would make sense to try a photo editor of a more affordable price range. Meet Luminar AI. One might call it a Photoshop wannabe as this software strives to provide the user with a similar toolkit, but at a lower price. Let’s see how you can overlay photos with this program.
- Switch to the Layers tab and open the image that would serve as the base layer. You can slightly change it in terms of size and proportions if that is necessary
- Add another picture atop the bottom layer. If you need to get rid of some areas of the second image, use the Layer Mask tool for the job
- Adjust the opacity, positioning, and angle of the top layer
- Save your project.
All in all, this does seem like overlaying images in Luminar AI is a bit more difficult, but at least the software is a lot more affordable than the Adobe product. If you are pressed for money, you’ll never go wrong when choosing Luminar AI. Although be prepared to struggle through its confusing interface.
If you are looking for software that would take the best features of both Photoshop and Lumniar AI and wrap them into a user-friendly interface, then go with PhotoWorks. This relatively cheap photo editor is packed with tools that range from the most essential to a niche. PhotoWorks is a great choice for people of all skills, as newbies will enjoy its advanced AI, whereas seasoned users will have fun with its pro-level instruments. Let’s see what it takes to overlay pictures with PhotoWorks.
- Run the software and open the bottom layer pic with it
- Switch to the Tools tab and pick the Image Overlay instrument
You’ll now have two options:
- You can go for a pre-installed clipart. The software harbors a huge collection of those that cover various themes, from seasonal holidays to weddings
- You can easily import an image of your own. Play with the image’s position and angle to better accommodate it into your montage. Use the corresponding slider to change the layer’s opacity if needed
And your overlay-based artwork is done. As you can see, overlaying pictures is a piece of cake when you use PhotoWorks. So if you need a photo editor that would find a perfect balance of being user- and budget-friendly, PhotoWorks is an excellent choice.
And there you have it – now you have learned how to overlay images in three perfectly doable ways. Consider your skills and your budget and go with the method that would suit you most. Meanwhile, we wish you an endless supply of ideas for those picture overlay projects of yours.